Sources told ESPN that US international Sergino Dest is one of the players Barcelona is preparing to listen to offers made in January to help fund other signings.
Barcelona have made boosting their attack next month a priority, but they must move in with the players before they can even consider signing anyone else.
– ESPN + guide: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup and more (USA)
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (US only)
– You don’t have ESPN? Get instant pass
Given the club’s difficulties finding new clubs for the likes of Philippe Coutinho, Samuel Umtiti and Neto in recent transfer windows, sources have told ESPN that Barcelona is now open to offers from players they previously wanted to keep.
Dest, 21, is someone who fits this category, with sources saying Bayern Munich is one of the clubs interested in the USMNT international game.
Barcelona signed Dest from Ajax for €20m in 2020, edging out Bayern. The German club has been in contact with the player ever since, however, and appeared on a loan move earlier this year with an option to make the deal permanent next summer for around €25m.
Meanwhile, Barcelona have signed 38-year-old Dani Alves on a free transfer to add more competition at the right-back position. ESPN also recently revealed that the Catalan club want to sign Cesar Azpilicueta when his contract with Chelsea expires in 2022.
Dest quickly became a regular player under Ronald Koeman after joining from Ajax. He played 41 games in his first full season at the Camp Nou, but injuries disrupted his second season at the club and limited him to only 16 games so far in all competitions.
After recovering from a back problem, he missed Barcelona’s last two games, including Tuesday’s 1-1 draw with Sevilla, due to a telephoto problem.
Sources told ESPN he will be “100% fit” after the Christmas break, with Barcelona’s next match in Mallorca on January 2 in La Liga, and that he is focused on impressing new coach Xavi and reclaiming his place in the squad.
However, the player’s camp has also been informed that Barcelona will consider any offer made to them in January if it makes financial sense for the club.
Matteo Alemani, Barcelona’s director of football, confirmed on Tuesday that there must be irregularities before they can sign next month, Manchester City striker Ferran Torres.
The club is operating with a spending cap imposed by LaLiga of 97 million euros this season, so they will only be allowed to spend 25% of any savings they make in the near future.
Sergio Aguero’s retirement due to a heart condition has given him some room to maneuver, but Alemani says they still have a lot of work to do to fulfill coach Xavi’s wish to arrive in January.