Jussie Smollett working on showbiz comeback ahead of verdict

Jussie Smollett is already desperately trying to revive his entertainment career even as he awaits sentencing over accusations that he launched his attack on racial hatred for publicity.

The Hollywood Reporter noted that in the nearly two years since the scandal broke, the 39-year-old actor has been dumped from TV movie “Empire,” which was dropped by his talent agency and failed to get any of his other acting gigs.

The industry outlet noted that he could still fund his directorial debut, “Bee Boy Blues,” which was filmed over 12 days last year in the Big Apple — but has yet to be purchased.

Lead supporter Tom Wilson, a Cleveland radio and television owner, told Media Mag that he and the beleaguered actor are working hard to find a distributor — and even film a follow-up series.

Jussie Smollett leaves his Chicago trial on December 8, 2021. He is said to have been working to revive his entertainment career.
Kevin C. Downs for The New York Post

“I believe in Josie,” Wilson, who has known the embattled actor for more than 15 years, said as he supports him in Chicago during his trial, and she is with the jury for deliberations.

Wilson insisted that “people are interested in buying” the flick Be Boy Blues, based on James Earl Hardy’s novel about a love story between two black men from two different worlds.

Wilson said they have already filmed the follow-up to the movie — an untitled serial pilot starring Smollett, who also directed — in both New York and Los Angeles.

Smollett at the premiere of his directorial debut "Bee Boy Blues" In Manhattan on November 19, 2021.
Smollett at the screening of his directorial debut “B-Boy Blues” in Manhattan on November 19, 2021. The film has not yet been purchased.
Photo by Rob Kim/Getty Images
Smollett is currently awaiting sentencing in his hate crime hoax trial.
Smollett is awaiting the verdict in his hate crime hoax trial.
Kevin C. Downs for The New York Post

Wilson told The Hollywood Reporter that they’ve also created a company, A Supermassive Movie, in anticipation of their project taking off.

This obviously depends on the outcome of Smollett’s trial, which could result in him being imprisoned for up to three years if he is convicted of felony charges of disorderly conduct, which he denied.

“We just want the right judgment…so we can move forward on making projects that allow minorities, blacks, and gays the chance to show their art,” Wilson told the outlets.

.

Leave a Comment