Instead of ordering Chinese meals the next time you’re hungry for a delicious Asian meal, use a grill pan to make chicken breast, pepper crisp, and baby bok choy quickly. Chinese-American takeaways tend to be very high in sodium and fat and therefore highly inflammatory. You can do better at home by using clean, fresh, and nutritious ingredients.
Cooking time: 25 minutes
you will need
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 4 5 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 4 heads of baby bok choy (about 1 pound total)
- 2 red bell peppers, halved and seeds
- 8 green onions, peeled
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup sliced snow peas
- sesame seeds (optional)
how to make it
- In a small bowl, stir the mixture 1 tbsp. of oil and five spice powder.
- Brush chicken, Chinese cabbage, pepper, and onion with the oil mixture.
- Use the grill plan to grill chicken and sweet peppers, covered, over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (165 F) and peppers are charred, flipping once. Roast Chinese cabbage and onions 2 to 4 minutes or until lightly charred, flipping once.
- Transfer the chicken and vegetables to a cutting board. Cover the chicken to keep warm. Cut the vegetables into small pieces.
- For slaw, in bowl, whisk together remaining 2 Tbsp. Canola oil, vinegar, salt and black pepper. Add roasted vegetables and snow pea pods. Toss to collect. Serve chicken with slaw. If desired, sprinkle with sesame seeds.
For every meal: 307 calories, 14 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 307 mg sodium, 5 g sugar, 4 g fiber, 35 g protein.
For more healthy eating news, check it out Register to get our latest news!
Eat this, not that! Editors
Inspired by New York times bestselling book series, Eat this, not that! is a brand made up of an award-winning team of journalists, board-certified experts, physicians, nutritionists, chefs, personal trainers, and nutritionists who work together to deliver accurate, timely, informative and actionable content about food, nutrition, dieting, weight loss, health, wellness, And more. Read more