Excessive salt intake can lead to a rise in blood pressure levels  |  Photo Credit: iStock Images
- People suffering from hypertension are recommended to go an a low-sodium diet
- Excessive salt consumption can cause stroke, hypertension, and cardiovascular trouble
- Read on to know about some healthy salt substitutes
New Delhi: Salt is one of the most commonly used ingredients in the kitchen. Be it in a spicy dish or a dessert, salt is known to enhance the flavor of dishes. However, this widespread use of salt might also be putting human health at risk. Some common complications of excessive salt consumption include:
- Cardiovascular diseases
Various studies have shown the benefits of a low sodium diet in regulating cardiovascular and brain health. Here, you can read about how salt substitutes can help decrease the risk of stroke by 14 per cent.
Healthy salt substitutes
Here are some healthy salt substitutes that you can go for:
- Black pepper powder: If salt and pepper is your go-to spice combination, it might be time to break the duo up and pick the healthier out of the two. Ground black pepper has anti-inflammatory properties and can work as an excellent salt substitute.
- Onion powder: Onions are one of the widely used vegetables. But did you know that chopping them is not the only way to add them to your meal? Powdered onions can be used as a salt substitute and they can effectively enhance the flavor of the food.
- Garlic: Being a popularly used spice, garlic is known for its flavor enhancing properties. But did you know that it can also be used as an excellent substitute for salt? Apart from preventing an increase in sodium intake, garlic can also have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Red pepper flakes: It is time to let go of salt and add red pepper flakes to your shelf. This versatile spice can not only work as an effective salt substitute but can also add a hint of spiciness to the dish. Pizza, pasta, etc. are often topped with these little red flakes.
- Lemon zest (or juice): Citrus fruits such as lemon are a rich source of vitamin C and help boost immunity. If you are looking for a healthy salt substitute, you must definitely go for lemon. The juice and zest can add a delicious citrusy flavor to the dish.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purposes only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness program or making any changes to your diet.
Get the latest health news, healthy diet, weight loss, yoga, and fitness tips, more updates on Times Now