BBC replaces ‘Megxit’ with ‘Sussexit’ in the second part of its controversial documentary The Princess and the Press after Prince Harry claims the term is ‘sexist’
- BBC Two documentary Princes and the press decide not to use the term ‘Megxit’
- Prince Harry argued the word was sexist and was introduced by a dwarf to criticize Meghan
- Anger continues in royal families over ‘exaggerated’ documentary allegations
A controversial royal documentary has chosen not to use the word “Megxit” in tomorrow’s episode, after Prince Harry had previously criticized the term.
Word could have appeared on the second episode of The Princes and The Press on BBC 2, which is set to air tomorrow.
Instead, the episode title has been called “Sussexit,” The Telegraph reports, and the documentary will explore allegations about behind-the-scenes palace briefings and the alleged lack of support the Duke and Duchess received.
Prince Harry stated: “People may or may not know this, but Megxit was or is an epistemological term, and it was created by a dwarf, amplified by royal correspondents, has grown and grown and grown into the mainstream media. “
Pictured: The royal couple attend a Veterans Day salute at New York’s Freedom Museum so ex-Soldier Prince Harry can present bravery awards to fellow veterans
Prince William (centre) has already banned the broadcaster from showing Carol’s charity party hosted by his wife Kate at Westminster Abbey
The term is a slogan for “Meghan” and “exit”, inspired by the similar slogan for “Brexit”.
Megxit has been widely used to describe the Sussexes’ withdrawal from royal duties, which the couple announced on Instagram on January 8, 2020. According to the Wikipedia page, the first use of Megxit is unknown but it first appeared in mainstream media as a headline. On The Sun on January 9, 2020.
Megxit is listed in the Collins English Dictionary as one of the ten best new words of 2020.
But Prince Harry has argued that the word “Megxit” was sexist by focusing their joint departure on his wife.
It was reported that the palace was incensed by the first episode of the two-part documentary “Princes and the Press” last Monday, and was only recently in contact with the directors.
She dismissed the allegations as “exaggerated and baseless” and apparently complained that she did not have what she considered a right of reply, with no previews of the episode before it aired.
Jenny Afia, the Duchess of Sussex’s lawyer, will appear in the second episode of tomorrow covering events from 2018 to the present, including allegations made in March that the Duchess ‘intimidated’ personal aides.
Ms. Afia said: These stories are false. This narrative that no one can work with the Duchess of Sussex, she was so demanding and demanding as chief and everyone had to leave, it’s not true.
The Ministry of Social Affairs reported last week that a high-ranking royal source had condemned the documentary as “small loopholes” that annoyed the Queen.
The couple gave a speech at Global Citizen Live, an environmental event to tackle climate change held in Central Park in September, before boarding a private jet back to their Los Angeles home.
Besides the alleged unrest within the palace, it will also include the revelation of Martin Bashir’s interview with Princess Diana in 1997. Mr. Bashir admitted this year that he falsified two invoices to secure the princess’s confidence prior to the interview.
Buckingham Palace, Clarence House and Kensington Palace took action by issuing a joint statement to the BBC at the end of the first episode.
They said: A free, responsible and open press is of vital importance to a healthy democracy.
“However, all too often unsubstantiated claims from unnamed sources that are presented as facts are too often inflated and it is disappointing for anyone, including the BBC, to give them credibility.”