Barcelona, Atletico Madrid vying for Chelsea’s Cesar Azpilicueta

The summer transfer period was not like any other period. See all the major deals and check out how we rank the biggest deals. And just because the window is closed until January, that doesn’t mean the rumors won’t continue to surface. Here’s the latest gossip and speculation.

The most important story: Barcelona and Athletic are fighting for Azpilicueta

Barcelona and Atletico Madrid are interested in the Chelsea captain Cesar Azpilicueta On a free transfer, says Sport.

The Spain international is one of a number of Blues defenders whose contract at Stamford Bridge expired in the summer, meaning he is able to discuss a deal with foreign clubs from January 1.

The 32-year-old spent nearly 10 years at Chelsea, joining from Marseille in 2012 and making 446 appearances for the club at the time.

Sources told ESPN in November that Barcelona had been following the versatile defender, with new coach Xavi Hernandez hoping to add experience and leadership to his young squad.

Besides Azpilicueta, there are also Antonio Rudiger, Andreas Christensen and Thiago Silva who have contracts expiring in the summer, leaving Thomas Tuchel with a potential central defense shortage on his hands next season.

Rudiger has been closely linked with a move to Real Madrid in recent months, with the Blues beginning talks over a new contract but yet to push the German star to commit to staying in London.

Barcelona have also been closely linked with Christensen, with whom Chelsea are believed to have been in talks over a new deal, but they fell through with the Denmark international ruled out for a match.

As for Silva, it is believed he will sign for another year at Stamford Bridge, which is impressive since his free transfer from Paris Saint-Germain.

Time will tell if Tuchel is lacking at the back, however he could force his hand into the transfer market to shore up his defensive options.

– ESPN FC 100: Ranking of the best players in the world by position
– ESPN + guide: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup and more (USA)
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (US only)

live blog

12.02 GMT: Tottenham Hotspur is ready to listen to offers Daily Alli In January, sources told ESPN’s James Ole.

Tottenham manager Antonio Conte has indicated the 25-year-old is not a major part of his plans for the second half of the season, sources told ESPN, with Conte set to allow him to revive his career elsewhere.

More importantly, president Daniel Levy is also ready to soften his stance after blocking multiple attempts by PSG to loan the midfielder out last summer.

Sources told ESPN that Alli was open to joining Ligue 1, with a possible reunion with former Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino in the Parc des Princes appeal.

It’s not clear at this point if PSG will revive his interest but Alli is desperate to turn his fortunes around after becoming a fringe figure at Spurs, making just 14 appearances all season.

11.27 GMT: Barcelona striker Sergio Aguero He announced his retirement from football at the age of 33 due to a heart condition.

Aguero has not played since the end of October when he was dislocated during the first half of Barcelona’s draw with Alaves after suffering chest pain.

Barcelona later announced that the discomfort was caused by an arrhythmia – a broad term to describe any completely abnormal heart rhythm – which required treatment over a three-month period.

Since then, the former Manchester City striker has been undergoing regular heart checks to monitor his health, and the results suggest it would be too risky to continue his career.

He announced his retirement at a press conference on Wednesday, joined by Barcelona President Joan Laporta.

Ogden: Aguero’s legacy is more than a creative goal

10.56 GMT: Barcelona considering transfer of Arsenal striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang in January after being stripped of his Arsenal captaincy this week, The Independent reported.

Aubameyang’s captaincy was pulled from him and he was dropped in Wednesday’s Premier League game against West Ham after a “disciplinary offense”.

The 32-year-old was ruled out of Saturday’s 3-0 win over Southampton, with sources telling ESPN’s James Ole that he came back late from holiday, although both the club and coach Mikel Arteta declined to confirm the specific nature of the incident. When asked at the time.

Arteta said the striker “needs time to recover” and refused to rule out the possibility of letting the striker go in January. Asked if he would consider letting Aubameyang leave in January, Arteta gave a more vague answer than last Friday to the same question, when he said the club had “never discussed it”.

“I can say now that we have made this decision,” Arteta said, adding that he had informed the Gabon international of his decision in direct talks. “Unfortunately, it’s a really tough match and obviously if I had to choose I wouldn’t want to sit here talking about it but we had to do it. But at the moment, he’s not in the team.”

The Independent reports that a swap deal with Ousmane Dembele could be an option, allowing financially stricken Barcelona to sign without paying a transfer fee.

10.11 GMT: Milan targets the center of the Turin defense Bremer in the January transfer window to cover the long-term absence of Simon Kjeer, according to Eurosport.

Kajer is unlikely to play again this season after undergoing orthopedic surgery on his left knee last month. Although Milan said in a statement last month that the Denmark international was “doing well and eager to begin the rehabilitation process immediately”, they added that the six-month period was expected to end.

Brazilian defender Bremer emerged as a target for Rossoneri. The report adds that the 24-year-old, who is contracted with Torino until the end of next season, has also been monitored by Chelsea.

Since signing from Atletico Mineiro in 2018, Bremer has made 80 appearances in the Italian league, scoring 10 goals in the competition.

09.18 GMT: Eurosport reports that Atletico Madrid is studying the possibility of a swap deal with him Manchester United who will take Anthony Martial to the La Liga club.

The report says Atleti will look at options in January which could see the 26-year-old move to Wanda Metropolitano. Ideally, they would find a player on their squad that United would be interested in taking a transfer fee rather than paying.

United interim manager Ralph Rangnick said this week that Martial must have the courage to make an official transfer request if he wants to leave. Martial’s agent, Philippe Lamboli, said on Friday that his client wants to leave Old Trafford in the next transfer window.

“If he really wants to move to another club, it should be the player who reported it to the board or me,” said Rangnick. “I have never talked about a player through the media and through agents.”

08.30 GMT: Corinthians manager Roberto de Andrade has denied reports that he had contacted Manchester United Edinson Cavani With the aim of signing him as a free agent next summer.

Reports in Brazil claim Corinthians are looking to boost their attack by signing a top player. Among the names that were circulated, Uruguayan players Cavani and Luis Suarez’s photo. like Cavani, Atletico Madrid Striker Suarez becomes a free agent next summer.

De Andrade said: “Corinthians are looking for the number nine, these names [Cavani and Suarez] Not mentioned by us. They are great players in the world, but we had no contact with Cavani, let alone Suarez. But we cannot underestimate the Corinthians.

“when [former Arsenal and Chelsea winger] The name of William was mentioned, and everyone said that it was impossible to achieve what he had won in Europe, but it ended up being successful. They are players that we keep watching. Not only them, but also many other people at the end of their contract, but we never had a conversation with anyone.

“But we’re not ruling out anyone, anything is possible. If there’s a conversation tomorrow, the most that can happen is knowing we don’t have the conditions. We won’t create false expectations for the fans.”

Corinthians finished fifth in the league and will compete in the Copa Libertadores next season.

paper chatter

West Ham pressure to sign Liverpool defender Nathaniel Phillips In January, Evening Standard reports. The Hammers took a defensive blow, with Angelo Ogbonna and Kurt Zouma set to miss out through injury. As a result, David Moyes is hoping to sign the 24-year-old, who the Reds estimate at £10m.

Ajax goalkeeper Andre Onana It hasn’t closed the door to a return to Barcelona in the future, with the 25-year-old’s contract expiring in the summer. Speaking to Sport, he said: “I’m still in contact with Barcelona. I have a very, very good relationship since I left. Barcelona is my home and there have always been connections. Obviously. It’s my home and I grew up there. If it was Barcelona, ​​it would be Barcelona.” He came through the Barcelona academy before moving to Ajax in 2015.

Paris Saint-Germain eyes Bayern Munich winger Kingsley ComanAccording to Calciomercato. The 25-year-old’s contract expires at the end of the season, leaving him free to leave the club or agree a pre-contract with clubs in January.

Kieran Trippier It is a transfer priority for Newcastle United manager Eddie Howe in January, according to the Daily Mail. The right-back is said to be ready to return to the Premier League from Atletico Madrid, as the Magpies look to bolster their squad in the relegation battle.

– Manchester United is looking at midfield goals in case Paul Pogba He leaves the club on a free transfer next summer. The France international’s contract expired at the end of the season, with the Daily Telegraph reporting that any replacement would have international standing, but he wouldn’t be a prominent name like Pogba.

.

Leave a Comment